Friday, May 6, 2011

Mothers Are A Cause For Celebration

This Sunday is Mother's Day. I think it's appropriate to dedicate this Thursday's blog to not only my own mother, but all the mothers I know. I'm sure some would call it a Hallmark holiday or whatever, but honestly, why shouldn't we celebrate the women that allowed us each to emerge into their world? I absolutely understand that some are not fortunate enough to still have their biological mothers in their lives, be it from divorce, disagreement, disease, or death, but for those of us that do, is it truly an inconvenience to take a few moments this Sunday to recognize and appreciate the significant role that your mother has played in your life? Almost anyone can admit that the person they are today has been nothing short of momentously influenced by her.

I was one of the privileged and fortunate suburban American youths of my generation to grow up with both of my biological parents being fully involved in my life. Not only was my mother around for my sister, brother, and I's upbringing, but we had a very engaging father, grandmother, and grandfather as well. Do I honestly think I'd be a different person today had those circumstances been different? Completely. Absolutely. Entirely.

My mother, who just turned 52-years-old last month, is one of the single most hard-working people I've ever known in my life. She proposed to my father at a mere 18-years-old and was married to him only a few months after her 19th birthday. In a couple of months, my parents will be celebrating their 33rd wedding anniversary (and yes, I do recognize how rare it is for someone of my generation to be able to brag about such an achievement. Ironically, divorce is something that isn't commonplace in family tree).

Point of all that is to say this; as a nearly 26-year-old, single male, I couldn't possibly ask for a better set of role-models when learning about what's truly important when understanding qualities of healthy, fair, and fulfilling relationships. Eventually, I'll be getting married and raising a family too. When I do, I trust that it will be honest, true, and rewarding.

So, to the mothers out there, you are more important to your children than even they can understand. There's going to be bumps in the road. There's going to be blocks and speed traps on that road too. In the end though, you need to accept the challenge that is motherhood and hopefully, someday have raised your children into appreciative, loving, and passionate adults that can proudly pass those traits onto their own offspring.


Happy Mother's Day, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment