Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Advantages of Solitary Circumstances

I'm sure that you know people that can't handle being alone. Sure, you can relate at times. You also know the type that says they don't "like" people. I'm sure you've worn those shoes plenty of times before too. We've all been somewhere crowded and noisy that you just wanted to escape. We've all sat in our room alone wanting nothing more than to be around somebody, anybody really, to escape that daunting sense of solitude. We can't control this. It's just another one of those things that you've got to accept about life and its increasingly complicated moods and emotions.

I think this time I'm going to write about the good things that can result from some time alone once in a while. Short of long term, it's got to be good for you in some ways, right? Maybe it's because I'm single, living back at home, and trying to cheer myself up. Maybe it's because I sure as hell believe that I'm not the only one living under these circumstances in my generation. Maybe it's all because there's absolutely no better way to get to know and understand yourself than to spend some time meandering around in your own brain.

Firstly, it's important to understand that many people aren't going to be good at being alone. We come from a very, very social society. Between the plethora of social networking sites, text and instant messaging capabilities, the convenience of cellphones, whatever. If you really want to get ahold of somebody, it honestly takes little to no effort to do so. However, what if these people were to willingly step out and away from all that for the afternoon? What if you were to just choose to forgot it's Friday night and find some way to entertain yourself and only yourself? What would happen if you dedicated an entire weekend, week, or month to such solitude? Would it be good for you? I suppose the point of this blog is about trying to answer that very question. How good or bad is a little solitary time for you?

In most situations, I believe that it takes some serious, mentally straining event to inspire something like a long, aimless drive or walk around the neighborhood. If life's treating you alright and things are going fine, why walk out on it for a minute? Maybe you just got in a rough argument with your parent(s), girlfriend/boyfriend, or other loved one. Perhaps you just lost your job or a friend moved away. Regardless of cause, it isn't strange to feel the urge to run off and try to sort out your mind. You have to admit too, most of the time, you feel better after pulling these little disappearing acts.

I refuse to believe that there's people out there that haven't ever done anything like this. If I'm wrong, however, I highly encourage them to get around to it. The open road, woods, sidewalks, and parks are our suburban generation's meditative oases. Bring your iPod or favorite mix CD and blast it like it's your own, little soundtrack for that moment of your life. You've got nobody to distract you when you're all by yourself, my friend. Just you and all the thoughts that create that endless pinball game in your head. Please understand just how truly important it is to eternally try and achieve a new high score during your little, solo adventures.

I've discovered in my quarter-century of life that there is nothing more peaceful, relaxing, and meditative than aimlessly walking through a forest preserve*, going running before class, or long drives with only loud, emphatic music riding shotgun. Now, understand that this is what I've found works for me. Perhaps someone like you obtains this peace of mind when you draw, paint, cook, write, or compose music. Like I had mentioned before, there are extensively infinite outs for achieving this sort of twenty-first-century meditation. I guess, without intending to be overly-preachy, I'm telling you that it's okay to grab hold of these things in your life and escape into your own mental attic once in a while, because one thing's for sure, we all most certainly deserve and need it.


*Since starting this blog, I've spent every Tuesday afternoon after class going for a solo hike or drive to a usually, pretty random destination. You'll notice that each blog that I post on Thursday ends with a photograph. All of these pictures were taken by me the Tuesday before I post the blog. This past Tuesday for instance, I drove down to a small town called Mendota and spent my afternoon/evening there. Not much to see and do, but I can assure you that the hour and a half drive each way was glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment